Students, staff give back at blood drive

Calista Schwab

Junior Alyssa James donates blood in room L102 after arriving back at Braswell following her Health Science class at the ATC on Feb. 14. Many students, particularly those interested in health careers, donated blood.

Staff

Students and staff participated in Braswell’s first-ever blood drive Feb. 14, with many citing a desire to “give back” as their motivation for donating.

The drive, which took place from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m., was set up in Room L102. Students were given a pass to donate or were allowed to donate as walk-ins, as long as they were 16 years old. The goal was set at 65 pints of blood, which the drive came close to achieving with 52 pints collected.

According to health science teacher Guy Nell, who spearheaded the drive, the event went well considering it was the first one Braswell has hosted. He added that it was a simple but effective way for students and teachers to make a difference in the community.

“It’s important to instill in our kids the importance of giving back something to our community to make it a better place,” Nell said. “There is a shortage of blood supply for the hospitals right now in our area, and giving blood is something that doesn’t take too much time. The blood given today will go to people in hospitals that really need it.”

Junior Lauryn Jones jumped at the chance to donate. She said it was a good opportunity to “get out of class and do something good.”

“I’m the type of person who gets sick a lot and has to go to the hospital,” Jones said. “I feel like it’s a good way to give back.”

Junior Dylan Meyer said that as someone who wants a career in the medical field, the choice to take part in the blood donation was an easy one.

“Saving lives is what I want to do with my life,” he said, “and this was one step I could take toward doing that.”