The Bengal Beat

Filed under A&E, Movies, Showcase

Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

The Oscars are quickly approaching, which can mean only one thing: It’s important to get your predictions out before people can second-guess your thoughts.

For Best Motion Picture, it is likely that “La La Land” will take home the award. The movie has made $226.5 million at the box office, making it the highest-grossing movie of all the nominees.

Last weekend, it added two BAFTAs to its already lengthy list of awards.

All nominees: “Arrival,” “Fences,” “Hacksaw Ridge,” “Hell or High Water,” “Hidden Figures,” “La La Land,” “Lion,” “Manchester by the Sea,” “Moonlight”

Casey Affleck is in the lead for Best Actor for “Manchester by the Sea”. He has won five awards for his role, with the most recent from the BAFTAs. His strongest competitor is “Fences” star Denzel Washington, but it’s pretty clear that Affleck will take home the award.

All nominees: Casey Affleck (“Manchester by the Sea”), Denzel Washington (“Fences”), Viggo Mortenson (“Captain Fantastic”), Ryan Gosling “La La Land”), Andrew Garfield (“Hacksaw Ridge”)

Best Actress will go to Emma Stone for “La La Land.” While the other nominees are great, none of them compare to Stone’s pitch-perfect performance in the film. She also won the award for Best Actress at the SAG awards and the Golden Globes, two ceremonies that always prove good indicators for Oscar wins.

All nominees: Emma Stone (“La La Land”), Isabelle Huppert (“Elle”), Natalie Portman (“Jackie”), Ruth Negga (“Loving”), Meryl Streep (“Florence Foster Jenkins”)

Damien Chazelle will be the mile marker. If he wins the award for Best Director, then it’s clear that “La La Land” will win Best Picture. At 32, he will also be the youngest director to have won a Best Director Oscar. He has been honored six times for his directing so far this awards season, and is sure to win another.

All nominees: Damien Chazelle (“La La Land), Kenneth Lonergan (“Manchester by the Sea”), Mel Gibson (“Hacksaw Ridge”), Denis Villeneuve (“Arrival”), Barry Jenkins (“Moonlight”)

For Best Supporting Actor, Mahershala Ali has already won seven awards for his role in “Moonlight,” indicating that the Oscars will likely be no different. He was also nominated for the Golden Globe but was overshadowed by Aaron Taylor-Johnson for “Nocturnal Animals,” making it the only award he missed for his role.

All nominees: Mahershala Ali (“Moonlight”), Jeff Bridges (“Hell or High Water”), Michael Shannon (“Nocturnal Animals”), Dev Patel (“Lion”), Lucas Hedges (“Manchester by the Sea”)

Best Actress in a Supporting Role is almost certain to go to Viola Davis for “Fences”. The powerhouse star, previously nominated for “The Help,” is garnering kudos for her role as Washington’s long-suffering wife Rose — so far, she’s won five awards. It would be the biggest shock of the night if she didn’t take home the Oscar.

All nominees: Viola Davis (“Fences”), Octavia Spencer (“Hidden Figures”), Michelle Williams (“Manchester by the Sea”), Nicole Kidman (“Lion”), Naomie Spencer (“Moonlight”)

The Oscars will air beginning at 6 p.m. Feb. 26 on ABC.

Keep up with your predictions using our Oscar Scorecard:

1 Comment

One Response to “Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners”

1. John Huerta on February 17th, 2017 4:30 pm

Here are my picks for the 89th academy awards and they are-

1. Best Picture-La La Land
    2. Actor in a leading role-Denzel Washington, Fences
    3. Actress in a leading role-Emma Stone, La la Land
    4.Actor in a supporting role-Mahershala Ali, Moonlight
    & 5. Actress in a supporting role-Viola Davis, Fences

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

To All the People Who Have Lost Someone

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

Marvel drops ‘Avengers 4’ trailer, title

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

Movies to watch this holiday season

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

R.I.P Stan Lee

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

‘First Man’ aims for the Moon

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

Freaky Flicks

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

Let’s Groove Tonight

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

A&E

A ‘Marvel’-ous new trailer

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

Fine arts

String Instruments, Rosin, & Bows, Oh my!: Orchestra at a Glance

• Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners

Fine arts

Vocal about their Vocals

The student news site of Braswell High School
Oscars 2017: Predicting the winners