From trash to treasure

Pre-AP Studio Art students fashion junk into masterpieces

Calista Schwab

At right, Kaitlyn Stanley and Paula Gusman work on their found object project in pre-AP studio art. The two were using common items to recreate Johann Vermeer's famous painting "Girl With a Pearl Earring."

Art teacher Krissi Oden’s recent art project was nothing but junk — in a good way.

About a month ago, Oden assigned her Pre-AP Studio Art students an “art out of junk” project, which challenged them to show their artistic ability by using random objects they found to recreate well-known artistic masterpieces.

“A lot of famous artists have done this type of art, and to let the students try it and show what they can do was the idea around it,” Oden said.

The students worked in groups and pooled their artistic knowledge to create unique pieces, including Johannes Vermeer’s “Girl With a Pearl Earring,” Andy Warhol’s “Pop Lips” and Edvard Munch’s “The Scream.”

“Working in a group made it easier on us for the assignment because you have more of the same talent,” sophomore Kate Hardison said.

Depending on how intricate the art pieces were, the time it took to finish them varied from two weeks to almost a month.

“[Mine] took about two weeks to finish,” junior Allyson Jackson said. “We also have a lot of surprise pieces in there, and we only had so much time each class.”