Royals win big at state competition

Team also has spring show, halftime performance coming up

MaryRose Seaman

The Royals perform during halftime at a basketball game in the BHS main gym. The team scored more than 14 trophies, plaques and awards at the State Championship Competition on Feb. 27.

Eli Lusk, Sports Reporter

The Royals are rounding out their year in style: not only do they have an upcoming spring show April 28 and 29, but the team took home more than 14 awards at the State Championship Competition on Feb. 27.

The Royals entered four team routines, three officer routines, one social officer trio, two ensembles, and two solos at competition.

The girls have been preparing for the competition since the conclusion of the football season.

“I practiced every single day before and after school,” junior captain Spencer Ford said.

Coach Kristina Shelburne said the team has worked through all the first-year obstacles on its road to success.

“They are a very close group of girls,” Shelburne said, “but the challenge they have overcome is working together, especially with some coming from Ryan, some girls came from [Denton High], and some new to high school coming from Navo.”

In addition, the Royals will perform at halftime during the Texas Legends game Thursday at the Dr. Pepper arena in Frisco. A portion of each ticket sold will benefit the Royals booster club.