The Bengal Beat

Filed under News & Features

In recognition of women

In honor of International Women’s Day, which is celebrated March 8 each year in commemoration of the women’s rights movement, the staff of “The Bengal Beat” discuss why they are proud to be women or support women.

Abby Armstrong: I am proud to be a woman. I believe in girls. I believe in feminism, although it’s a strong word that has a common misconception of meaning women over men. It really stands for equity between people not based on gender, but based on who they are as individuals. I am delighted to be a part of my sisterhood, and I’m glad to have had wonderful women role models before me, women like bell hooks, Rosie the Riveter, Oprah, Emma Watson, and so many others. I am overjoyed to say that my XX chromosomes made me a girl and my experiences have made me the woman I am today.

Aneta Huckova: I am proud to be a woman not only because of how strong and determined we are, but also because of how emotional and gentle we can be. I am proud of women because — despite all the struggle and inequality we have to face — here we are, standing strong, with heads held high.

Brandin Wood: I’m proud to support women because women and men are equal and everyone deserves the same rights.

Brittney Dear: I’m proud to be a woman because although we are vulnerable in many aspects, we have continued to thrive and rise above our fears with bravery instead of letting the possibilities break us down.

Bruno Ladaniuski: I support women because without women, men are nothing. They deserve the same equality that we have.

Caitlyn Tang: I’m proud to be a woman because we are capable of so much. We start movements, we build things, we create things. Of course, it’s not just women who can do these things but we didn’t always have these rights. I’m proud to be able to take part in what we can do and how we represent one another. I’m proud to be a woman because who wouldn’t be?

Erin Cristales: I’m proud to be a woman because as each generation learns from the last, we grow stronger and more confident and more willing to fight for our place in the world.

Hunter Troppy: I support women because they’ve dealt with men for thousands of years.

Eli Lusk: I support women because they are put through a lot more than men. Also, to me, my mom is the strongest person in the world. She has the hardest work ethic I know, especially considering where we came from.

Haden Freis: I’m proud to support women because they play a huge role in how our world functions.

Julie Lowe: I’m proud to be a woman because I see myself as equal to a man — no matter my size, gender, age, or height. We all have the same capabilities, it is just physical features and human anatomy that are not the same. I can be stronger than a man because of my mindset. I am proud to be a woman because I am strong and courageous.

Kyle Sansom: I support women because it’s the sane thing to do, They are capable of doing everything I can, and doing some things a lot better.

Logan Booker: I’m proud to support women because I see women working for equality and see them doing great work.

Michael Lockhart: I’m proud to support women because my grandma has helped me through so much.

Morgan Malin: I am proud to be a woman because of how far women have come in earning equal rights and fighting for what we believe in.

Rachel Davis: I’m proud to be a woman because of everything we’ve had to fight for, and are continuing to fight for. We need to acknowledge how significant we are, and essentially prove to those who don’t believe in us that without us, the world would be a very different place.

Rae Taylor: I’m proud to be a woman because statistically, we tend to live longer than men, and we also have cool things like makeup and high heels.

Sean Johnson: I’m proud to support women because my mother had the strength to raise two children on her own in the ghetto.

Sierra Bihon: I’m proud to be a woman because I just am.

Sierra Pasley: I am proud to be a woman because we hold a very important responsibility to the rest of the population, and we don’t get enough recognition for all that we do.

Suh Kapapi: I’m proud to support women because all women are queens and they keep us in check.

Taiyonna Tucker: I am proud to be a woman because men wouldn’t know what to do without our strength, beauty and wisdom.

Taylor Locke: I am proud to be a woman because we are the backbones of men. We push them to make the right choices.

Grace Jung: I’m proud to be a woman because of the great women who fought for women’s rights.

Victoria Flores: I am proud to be a woman because we are classy and walk tall. We are emotionally strong and brave.