The Bengal Beat

Top 10 best professional soccer players

Back to Article
Back to Article

Top 10 best professional soccer players

Bruno Ladaniuski, Sports Reporter

In the world of soccer, many players reign supreme. But for this list, I looked at how many titles different players had won, and how many goals they have scored, along with the various ways they manage to display their skills each game. What follows is a list of the 10 best players who currently play.

10. Manuel Neuer

Neuer is a German who plays as a goalkeeper for the Bayern Munich club and is the captain of the German National Team. He won third place in the Ballon D’or in 2014 and won the World Cup in 2014. He is 31-years-old. Neuer consistently makes great saves — in the World Cup finals, he didn’t let the other team score a single goal.

9. Gareth Bale

Bale is a Welsh who plays as a winger for the Spanish club Real Madrid, and who plays as a right midfielder for the Wales National Team. At the age of 27, he has already scored a total of 131 goals.

8. Sergio Ramos

Ramos is from Spain, and he is captain for both Real Madrid and the Spain National Soccer team. He is a central defender and can also play as a right back. He won the World Cup in 2010 for Spain. The 30-year-old player has scored a total of 63 goals. Ramos is great at tackling, proving himself to be one of the sport’s ultimate defenders.

7. Andres Iniesta

Iniesta is from Spain and plays as a central midfielder for both FC Barcelona and the Spain National Team. For Barcelona, he is also the captain. He won second place in the Ballon D’or  in 2010 and third place in 2012. He won the World Cup in 2010 for Spain. The 32 year old has scored a total of 62 goals in his career and has established himself as one of the world’s best passers.

6. Antoine Griezmann

Griezmann is French and plays as a forward for both Spanish Club Atlético Madrid and the France National Team. He won third place at the Ballon D’or in 2016. He has scored a total of 125 goals. The 26-year-old player is one of the most complete in the world, with excellent shooting, passing and dribbling skills.

5. Luis Suarez

A Uruguayan who plays as a striker for the Spanish Club, FC Barcelona and the Uruguay National Team, Suarez has scored a total of 300 goals at the age of 30. Scoring seems easy for Suarez — if he has the ball, you can count on him to score.

4. Zlatan Ibrahimovic

Swede who plays as a forward for the English Club, Manchester United and the Swedish National Team, Ibrahimovic has scored a total of 386 goals. The 35 year old is acrobatic, scoring goals that are almost impossible to do, flying into the air to make his team a consistent winner.

3. Neymar

A Brazilian who plays as a forward for the Spanish Club, FC Barcelona and the Brazil National Team, Neymar won third place in the Ballon D’or in 2015. The 25 year old has scored a total of 187 goals in his career, and has proven himself the best at dribbling. It’s impossible to take the ball from him.

2. Lionel Messi

An Argentine who plays as a forward for the Spanish Club, FC Barcelona and the Argentina National Team, Messi won first place in the Ballon D’or in 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2015, and second place in 2013, 2014 and 2016. At 29 years old, he has scored a total of 422 goals. He’s great at everything — so, good in fact, that many people joke he’s not even from Earth.

1. Cristiano Ronaldo

Ronaldo is from Portugal and plays as a forward for the  Spanish Club, Real Madrid and the Portugal National Team. He won first place in the Ballon D’or in 2008, 2013, 2014, and 2016, and second place in 2011, 2012 and 2015. He also won the Euro Cup in 2016. He is the most well-paid athlete in the world, earning $80 million per year including his salary and endorsements. The 32-year-old player, who has scored 482 goals in his career, has almost supernatural strength and speed, not to mention incredible skill on the field.