The Bengal Beat

The eight best places to travel this summer

Bruno Ladaniuski, Sports reporter

If you are planning to travel this summer — and you can afford some exotic destinations — here are some of the best cities to explore over your two-month break. The following cities are ranked by number of visitors, exoticism and cultural history. From beaches to big cities, here are our top choices.

Santorini, Greece

Santorini is famous for amazing views, sunsets, its white houses, and its active volcano. It’s also famous for its picturesque beaches and vibrant nightlife. With its big, blue ocean this glamorous part of the Cyclades group of islands is a popular destination for visitors who just want to relax.

Airfare:$1,927

Buenos Aires, Argentina

The place where the tango was invented is seductive and full of excited energy. Buenos Aires’ atmospheric old neighborhoods with romantic restaurants, as well as its European heritage, is evident in its architecture, boulevards and parks. Places to visit include La Boca, Casa Rosada and La Bombonera.

Airfare: $1,541

Paris, France

Paris is the most visited city in the world. It is a global center for art, fashion, gastronomy and culture. Paris is often considered the most romantic city in the world. Places to visit include the Eiffel Tower, the Louvre and the Arc de Triomphe.

Airfare:$1,242

Edinburgh,Scotland

The capital and cultural center of Scotland for over 500 years, Edinburgh has a medieval Old Town and elegant Georgian New Town with gardens and neoclassical buildings. Places to visit include Calton Hill, the Scottish National Monument and Edinburgh Castle.

Airfare:$1,445

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

Rio is an amazing city, surrounded by beautiful beaches and a tropical rainforest, making it the best place to visit if you enjoy the outdoors. Carnival is a festival held every year and is considered the biggest in the world, with two million people per day on the streets. Places to visit include Copacabana Beach, Christ the Redeemer and the Sugarloaf Mountain.

Airfare:$1,750

Giza, Egypt

Giza is one of the oldest cities in the world, making it highly recommended if you are trying to travel through  a culturally interesting place. The Pyramids of Giza make the area very historical, and you can even take a camel to travel along with you. Don’t forget to also visit the Great Sphinx of Giza.

Airfare:$1,203

Rome, Italy

Rome is a cosmopolitan city that receives millions of tourists each year from around the world to admire the treasures of its art and architecture. You can enjoy the most authentic pastas and pizzas that you will ever eat. Make sure to visit the historical Colosseum, Pantheon and Trevi Fountain.

Airfare:$1,608

Bora Bora, Society Islands

Located in the Pacific, Bora Bora is the best place to visit if you are trying to go to a tropical island to relax and explore. Very famous for its aqua-centric luxury resorts, Bora Bora allows you to take boat tours around the island, ride jet skis and paddleboard. You can also stay at bungalows suspended over the water.

Airfare:$2,189