The Bengal Beat

Courtyards, porch to remain closed to students

Administrators say safety is the issue

Back to Article
Back to Article

Students in Erin Cristales' photojournalism class practice shooting perspective photos on the school's porch. While students can venture into areas such as the courtyards and porch with a teacher, they have so far not been allowed to visit the areas unattended.

Erin Cristales

Erin Cristales

Erin Cristales

The courtyards and porch will remain closed to students due to safety concerns, according to administrators.           

The school is known for its innovative architecture and futuristic learning. The courtyards and porch play a vital role in the uniqueness of the school, as their giant windows and fresh plants are intended to create a breathable space for students to learn.

Ever since the school’s opening in fall 2016, the courtyards and porch have not been accessible to students, though many have been unsure as to why.

But according to Assistant Principal Divya Ryan, the areas have been closed to students because of safety issues.

“They are not fully complete as we envisioned them to be,” Ryan said. “You can still go out there with your teachers, it’s just not for kids unsupervised.”

Stefani Moore, English teacher and school spirit coordinator, believes that the courtyards and porch should be open to students.

“I think it should be open for lunches, for classes to work, to have free time, or if a student wants to go out there to read because they have an off period. I think we should utilize them more,” she said.

Security guard Lynn Eller expressed concerns about the security of the students if the areas were open. However, he did stay open to the possibility of their use.

“We would have to have an extra officer or teacher out with them,” Eller said. “We’re trying to moderate the kids and keep them safe, and that just adds an unsafe element to the fact. If they would act right, it wouldn’t be a problem.”

Students are getting eager for the utilization of the courtyards and porch. They believe that it would provide benefits to everyday school life.

“The benefits [of them being open] is that we’re not cramped up in school all day, and have a little more freedom,” junior Maddie Moore said. “We would get less anxious about sitting in a class all day and being stuck there.”

While Ryan did hold out hope that the areas would eventually be open to all, they will remain closed to unsupervised students until further notice.