The Bengal Beat

‘Midsummer’ a true dream

Theatre produces magical rendering of Shakespeare classic

Back to Article
Back to Article

‘Midsummer’ a true dream

Ariel Tacia, left, plays a fairy who conspires with the mischievous Puck, played by Savanah Downing, in

Ariel Tacia, left, plays a fairy who conspires with the mischievous Puck, played by Savanah Downing, in "A Midsummer Night's Dream."

Trejon Williams

Trejon Williams

Trejon Williams

Sam Herger, Staff artist

In Act 1 of “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” Oberon (David) and Puck (Savanah) meet to plot the love quadrangle that dominates Shakespeare’s romantic comedy. The yin-yang dynamic between the characters – and by extension, their portrayers – shine’s as Oberon’s stoic demeanor plays off of Puck’s playfulness. The colors selected by the costumers accents their differences – Oberon’s Earth tones and Puck’s bright flowiness drive home the relationship between the two. It’s just one example in the string of great choices made by the theater department in its first production of the year.

The character Bottom, portrayed Zoe Howard, made me smile every time he appeared on stage. The way Howard spoke with such bold demeanor even when no other characters were paying attention was hilarious to watch. Bottom always wants to be the center of attention, a character flaw that Howard nails, but often gets dismissed by his acquaintances. Howard’s choice to make Bottom laugh like a braying donkey suited the character flawlessly.

Toward the middle of the play, the fairies of the forest sang and danced with such grace they almost looked like professionals. Their dance was so entrancing that it made me feel as though I was being sucked into Shakespeare’s magical forest. The sparkly pop of the fairies’ dresses bounced off the monochromatic green background of the woods. The scenery and costume design was so well crafted that I wished I could be on stage with them, dancing playfully through the wilderness. The experience was truly enriching.

This play was more than a great start to the school year. I loved every moment of the production, and I can’t wait to see another play of this quality by the theatre department soon.