The Bengal Beat

• Follow us on Facebook and Twitter @thebengalbeat

‘Greatest Showman’ a magical musical experience

Maya Dennis, A&E critic

Last month, a film hit theatres that was supposed to wow audiences and entice people of all ages — and boy, did it deliver. “The Greatest Showman” is a musical that explores the life of P.T. Barnum and the creation of his oh-so-famous circus.

Bill Condon took part in writing the screenplay for the film. He also wrote “Chicago,” which won the Oscar for Best Motion Picture, along with last year’s live-action “Beauty and the Beast.” He’s exposed the movie musical genre to those who have little knowledge of it.

From the big screen to Broadway, Hugh Jackman, the film’s star, has gained admiration from audiences everywhere. And he doesn’t falter in his latest role. Playing P.T. Barnum, Jackman takes you through the perfect example of the hero’s journey.

Recent film star — and former Disney kid — Zendaya, has been popped up recently in several blockbuster films. While this is only her second major motion picture — the first being “Spider-man: Homecoming” — from what she’s shown audiences, it’s clear that she’s highly talented.

It’s been a decade since Zac Efron was in a musical — the last being “Hairspray” in 2007. Efron shines in this film and it shows that he is no longer the basketball-playing teenager we once thought him to be. Of the few songs he’s included in, the audience empathizes with his character and in the end, finds themselves hoping he makes the right decisions.

With the award-winning lyricists of “La La Land” and “Dear Evan Hansen,” the film soundtrack is one that will be stuck in your head for days on end. Even when you think it’s no longer in your system, you’ll find yourself humming “The Greatest Show” or “This is Me” without even realizing it. The soundtrack is also No.1 on the Billboard Charts.

The film is about the fantastical and astonishing, but if you watch carefully, some elements don’t always look realistic. But that’s the point. Initially some may see this as a way for the production to save money, but with a little more thought, they’ll see that it’s on purpose. The whole point of a circus — at least back then — was to deceive and Barnum even makes himself the “Prince of Humbug” during the film.

With its two Golden Globe Nominations — Best Motion Picture and Best Actor (Hugh Jackman) — and it’s win for Best Original Song (“This is Me”) the film is sure to be in the top of movie musicals.

While the film has only made $100 million worldwide, it should still be on your watchlist. It’s not every day that a new musical comes out on the big screen. The film’s A-list cast and incredible music is sure to leave you in awe, even if you aren’t a big fan of musicals.