The Bengal Beat

‘A Quiet Place’ a heartwarming horror film

Maya Dennis, A&E critic

Recently, the horror/thriller genre has increased its quality and “A Quiet Place” isn’t the exception. While the film is only Krasinski’s third — the other two not being as big — it is obvious that his film has made a sizable impact, especially since it’s an original.

Originally the trailer fell under the radar. However, things changed when the film was screened at  South by Southwest. Critics couldn’t stop talking about it and consequently, the trailer started showing up in theaters more often. Ultimately enticing even more people to go see a film they wouldn’t have batted an eye towards.

The film follows a family and their struggle to survive their post-apocalyptic world. They have to live without sound. Using sign language to communicate. Creating sand paths to muffle their footsteps. If they make any noise, they immediately become the prey of a creature unknown to the human species.

While most people go to see a horror film for the jump scares or adrenaline rush, they often get caught off guard when a deeper, emotional message is thrown into it.

With three kids already, and one on the way, Krasinski and Blunt’s characters immediately put their kids well being above their own. During the film Blunt’s character says “Who are we if we can’t protect [our kids]?” It’s always been a parents job to take care of and protect their kids. The end of the world doesn’t change that. In fact, it makes it more prominent.

“A Quiet Place” is tense and keeps you on the edge of your seat throughout the film. While the family on screen may be used to the silence, audiences surely aren’t. The change in volumes after the film elicits an automatic response due to the change and the fear of being hunted by the fictional creatures.

You’d think that a film about silence wouldn’t include much sound design or even sound for that matter, and yet that’s why it’ so neat. Without the constant noise of dialogue, it gives the audience a chance to listen to things they couldn’t normally hear in a film. You can hear the music crescendo as things start to tense up. You can hear the birds sing-song as Dad walks on the sand paths. The sounds merry together to create something rarely seen or heard.

The cast includes a maximum of seven people. And a budget of $17 million. When compared to other horror films there’s between a 61 – 85 million dollar difference. To create an original film with a small budget and cast is incredible in this day and age. And with twists that are important, audiences should try to see this film as quickly as possible.