The Bengal Beat

Freaky Flicks

Gissell Martinez, Reporter

As the month grows deeper into ‘Spooky Season’ we all could admit that we love to get comfy on our bed or couch, to watch our favorite Halloween movies. Halloween movies have been around for over a hundred years. Here are some favorites :

Beetlejuice: This movie is about Barbara and Adam who died in a car accident, and got stuck haunting their country residence. When Deetzes and his teen daughter buy the home, they try to scare the new buyers away with the help of Beetlejuice.                         

Hocus Pocus: After moving to Salem, Massachusetts,  Max explores an abandoned house with his sister Dani and their new friend, Allison. After a story Allison tells, Max accidentally frees a coven of evil witches who used to live in the house. Now, with the help of a magical cat, the kids must steal the witches’ book of spells to stop them from becoming immortal.

Jeepers Creepers: After making a horrific discovery in the basement of a church, Trish and her brother Darry watch their journey home turn into a murderous bloodbath. The predator in Jeepers Creepers is a bone-chilling monster who is thirsty for the blood of scared high school students.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Jack Skellington became bored with the same routine of frightening people in the “real world.” When Jack accidentally stumbles on Christmas town, he gets a new perspective on life. He plots to bring Christmas under his rule by kidnapping Santa Claus.

The Corpse Bride: Victor and Victoria’s families have arranged their marriage. Though they like each other, Victor is nervous about the ceremony. When he is in a forest practicing his lines for the wedding, a tree branch becomes a hand that drags him to the land of the dead. It belongs to Emily, who was murdered after eloping with her love and wants to marry Victor. Victor must get back aboveground before Victoria marries the villainous Barkis Bittern.  

Monster House: No adults believe three kids assumptions that a neighboring creepy house is a living creature that wants to harm whatever sets foot on the property.  With Halloween approaching, the trio must find a way to destroy the structure before innocent trick-or-treaters meet their death.

The Nightmare Before Christmas: Jack becomes the caretaker of the isolated Overlook Hotel in Colorado, hoping to cure his writer’s block.  He settles in along with his wife, Wendy, and his son, Danny who has psychic premonitions. As Jack’s writing goes nowhere and Danny’s visions become more disturbing, Jack discovers the hotel’s dark secrets and begins to unravel into a homicidal maniac hell-bent on terrorizing his family.

Coraline: With Coraline exploring her new house, she discovers nooks and crannies while discovering a hidden small door that goes to another world. Yet the world looks like her reality, but better. She meets her ‘Other Mother’ and rest of her family to only be told that they want to keep her there forever. Coraline must use all her resources and bravery to make it back to her own family and life.

Halloweentown: Marnie and her siblings receive a big shock when they follow grandma home to Halloweentown and find out they come from a family of witches. The town is the only place where supernatural creatures can lead a “normal” life, but trouble is coming. On her 13th birthday, Marnie not only finds out she is a witch, but that she and her family are involved in a fight against the evil that is threatening to take over the world.

Halloween: On a cold Halloween night in 1963, six-year-old Michael Myers brutally murdered his 17-year-old sister, Judith. He was sentenced and locked away for 15 years. But on October 30, 1978, while being transferred for a court date, a 21-year-old Michael Myers steals a car and escapes Smith’s Grove. He returns to his quiet hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois, where he looks for his next victims.