The Bengal Beat

Swimming regional prelims set for Feb. 3

Event to take place at Mansfield Aquatics Center

Back to Article
Back to Article

Braswell swimmers are set to compete at the regional prelims Feb. 3 at the Mansfield Aquatics Center. Those participating have put in extra hours -- and come up with pre-swim rituals -- to help them take home the gold at the event.

MaryRose Seaman

MaryRose Seaman

MaryRose Seaman

Haden Freis, Sports Reporter

Update (2/4/17): Alexa Barnes qualified for state and set a new Denton ISD record. 

Update (2/3/17): The following swimmers advanced to the finals: Alexa Barnes, Maya Stueck, Sharon Tran, Jessica Utz, Emily Mordecai, Chloe Foster, Gage Pickens, Paul Santibanez, Bryce Mutchler and Nicholas Perry. 

The prelims for the swimming regional competition are scheduled for 3:30 p.m. Feb. 3 at the Mansfield Aquatics Center. All of the participating swimmers are thrilled for the upcoming meet.

Those who qualified for regionals include Alexa Barnes, Jessica Utz, James Olabamiji, Chloe Foster, Gage Pickens, Ash Kaewdarunee, Nicholas Perry, Michael Cox, Emily Mordecai, Bryce Mutchler, Paul Santibanez and Maiya Stueck.

“It’s exciting to go to regionals for the first year at Braswell, but, you know, it’s [going to] be real intense but [still] fun,” Olabamiji, a junior, said. He is competing in the 400 relay.

Everyone is preparing for the meet by practicing every day. Before every game, some swimmers like to cut loose and do a little pre-game good luck ritual.

“I don’t wash my hair a day before the meet,” Stueck, a junior, said. She is competing in the 100 backstroke, 400 freestyle relay, 200 freestyle relay and the 200 medley relay.  

All of the swimmers who advance during the prelims will be moving on to the finals, also hosted in Mansfield, at 3:30 p.m. Feb. 4.